[GNC] Ubuntu distribution version

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Tue Aug 25 18:02:49 EDT 2020

Derek,

It is possible it will cause problems. When you specify the prefix the
installation procedure puts the libraries and shared resources in particular
locations. AFAIK it doesn't create environment variables in your system but
the choice of prefix goes affect how GnuCash looks for files internally. I
think if you use /opt it will expect to find the binary in /opt/bin
libraries in /opt/lib shared resources in /opt/share whereas if you specicy
/opt/gnucash the program will be looking in /opt/gnucash/bin
/opt/gnucash/lib etc.  Generally with /opt I think it is the preferred
practice that the application libraries and other resources should all be in
a directory under the applications name in /opt. The build/install scripts
if my memory serves me used to do this automatically for installs to
$HOME/.local or /opt  but I havent built for /opt for several years now.
The structure for installaton in /usr  or /usr/local is different from an
install in /opt as there are standard conventions for locations. /usr should
only be used by the  software that is part of the OS. /usr/local is
generally intended for software that the user optionally installs from the
OS repositories and in both these locations files go into general /bin,
/lib, /share subdirectories and not application specific (they may however
be under an application specific subdirectory of /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib
for example however).

You may also need to append the /opt locations to the PATH environment
variable if the install script hasn't done so.

I would rebuild and reinstall using the location you want to put the files
into.

I normally build for /usr/local as I don't use the Gnucash version from the
OS repository and havent for the past 10 years. The only difficulty with
using /usr/local is that you might accidentally install GnuCash from the
repository over your own build.

If you look in the build directory you will find a file install.manifest
which will list the locations that Gnucash has been installed  into. These
are the locations in which the program created from that build will be
expecting to find the files. It is used when you use the
$ninja uninstall
command to remove an installation. If files have been moved this will not be
successful and you may have to remove them manually (see
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Uninstall_Gnucash_Linux) but there are risks
of impacting other installed software in a manual uninstall.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens