[GNC] New user - anyone else using GnuCash for PCC (church) accounts? Advice?

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Wed Aug 26 12:51:47 EDT 2020

On 8/26/2020 7:16 AM, Michael Hendry wrote:

>> I used to run my own small Ltd. company so basic accounting methods,
>> VAT, etc. are not beyond me either.
>>
>> What I want is more on the 'how to run a small PCC accounts with GnuCash'
>> sort of thing.  There are some quirks to PCC accounts (I think!):-
>>
>>     How does one deal with 'unrestricted' and 'restricted' accounts?
>>     Can one set up 'types' of accounts in GnuCash?
>>
>>     Is GnuCash overkill for this?  Total cash assets are only a few
>>     thousand pounds and annual turnover is probably down in the
>>     hundreds now.
>>
>>     Is there anyone else using GnuCash for this?

A number of us use gnucash to keep the books for non-profits. using
gnucash There have been numerous discussions on the topic of accounting
for restricted funds.

ESPECIALLY when the person asking says familiar with regular bookkeeping
I will begin by asking in return "if you know how you would be doing
this (accounting for restricted funds that are kept in the common bank
account) the old fashioned way, pen and ink on paper, what is the
problem you see doing that with gnucash?" And if you don;t know any of
the various options for accounting for restricted funds, grants, etc.
isn't THAT the problem as opposed to "doing it using gnucash"?

Michael D Novack