[GNC] Setting up for restricted/unrestricted PCC accounts - what's a reasonable approach

pobox.deva at outlook.in pobox.deva at outlook.in
Sat Aug 29 07:16:07 EDT 2020

Chris,

You will find plenty of discussions on this list on restricted/unrestricted funds for charity, trust, etc. Much of the account setup also revolves around taxation in your jurisdiction, so I won’t delve into those aspects.

My comment here is restricted to your query on which account setup is the way to go as you stated in the post below…

Since GnuCash’s account hierarchy starts with 5 fundamental account types as the root accounts viz., Assets, Equity, Expenses, Income & Liabilities, you will find that your first model will be easy to tailor in your scheme of things.

If you try to set it up as per your second model, you will soon run into technical restrictions imposed by GnuCash such as certain account types cannot be child accounts of certain parents and so on. So a lot more struggle will be involved in setting that up, or in some cases, it may just not allow it at all.

Cheers,
Deva