[GNC] New user - anyone else using GnuCash for PCC (church) accounts? Advice?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Aug 29 09:37:29 EDT 2020

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 09:26:53AM -0400, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:
> > Well, yes, but the existing paper system is hardly transparent! :-)
> >
> > I'm really only trying to work things out from what has to be on the
> > annual return to the CofE.
> >
> > The restricted and unrestricted funds are at least basically separated
> > by being in separate accounts.
> >
> If the restricted funds are in a separate bank account, especially if it is
> a deposit account, you have simple options compared to those of us who keep
> books for organizations that so not have funds segregated that way.
>
> a) You can just partition the deposit account. Won't interfere with check
> reconciliation to have it partitioned.
>
> b) You won't perceive yourself as doing any extra work since going to be a
> REAL transaction moving funds from "deposit" to "current" when paying ans
> expense that qualifies for the use of that restricted fund.

Yes, that was how I saw it originally.  However (as you may see from
some of my subsequent posts) I don't think we have any restricted
funds, what I (and others here at the PCC I suspect) thought were
restricted funds are simply designated.

We might have the odd donation that is restricted but not very much, I
can add an income account for those, e.g. 'building repairs -
restricted' and that will be all I need I think.  If it turns out that
there are several then I can have a hierachy with a 'placeholder'
restricted and underneath it 'new roof', 'building repairs' or
whatever. However I think this may be overkill, we aren't going to be
that lucky.

--
Chris Green