[GNC] GNU Cash on a Central Computer

randix butterandsalt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 13:16:13 EST 2020

Nelson... although I have GnuCash installed on 2 separate laptops, I only
actively use GnuCash on one laptop (with the data regularly backed up on an
external drive).  The other laptop installation is just in case my primary
laptop crashes (and I could then copy one of the backed up data files for
it).

I have no need to regularly access the GnuCash data file from 2 different
sources, however, just out of curiosity as I've seen the dropbox usage
referenced not infrequently here...  When I save my GnuCash it does not
write the same file name each time, eg

2020-12-Dec.gnucash.20201205100356.gnucash
2020-12-Dec.gnucash.20201205073851.gnucash
etc.

So, for example.
1. I save GnuCash data on Laptop 1.  The save goes to my dropbox directory.
2. On Laptop 2, I open up the saved GnuCash data file from the dropbox
directory.
3. All is good.
4. Then on Laptop 1 I open up GnuCash, and it defaults to the last saved
file.  I work on it.  Then save it.
5. All is good
6. But when I later open up GnuCash on Laptop 2, it's going to automatically
load the last saved file which will not be the latest file which has a
different name.
7. So are you saying when you use dropbox in conjunction with GnuCash, the
user has to go to the dropbox directory, and manually load the last saved
file after looking at the saved dates, to make sure it's not loading an
older saved file?

Hope that's clear.  Thanks.  As I say, just curious.