[GNC] gnucash file name after move from ubuntu 20.04 to debian 10

Richard Danielson rdan217 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 03:01:38 EST 2020

Hello,

I recently moved my computer system (and gnucash) from ubuntu 20.04 to
debian 10.  After installing debian, I copied my /home directory to the
new system.  Previous to the move I had upgraded to version 4.2 on flatpak.

After the transition, the file name for the gnucash data file became
extended to something like 'my name'.gnucash.20200912164616.gnucash.
That was probably related to the last update to gnucash which I made
before the change in operating system.

Now the update log files are still looking like this - 'my
name'.gnucash.20200912171222.gnucash.  The most recent file name seems
to be 'my name'.gnucash.20200912171222.gnucash.20201208000513.gnucash
and the most recent log file seems to be 'my
name'.gnucash.20200912171222.gnucash.20201208000514.log.

Without doing irreparable damage to things, can I change the name of the
gnucash file to 'my name.gnucash or something simple like that without
wrecking things?  I should note that since my original post about a year
ago, and after Adrien's admonitions, I did do reconciliation of a couple
of accounts (bank and credit cards) and just kept the system account
going in the same file from 2019 to 2020.  Therefore I would not like to
shoot myself in the foot (or the eye) by destroying the data file.
Thanks in advance.

As an aside to my original note last year on the first rule of carpentry
(...there's always time to do a job twice), I would like to offer the
second rule of carpentry:  If you cut a board too short, cut it again.

Rick