[GNC] GnuCash Software Update

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Dec 11 07:26:44 EST 2020

You're 2 major versions behind. There have been significant changes.

Is it possible to save everything will little effort? Maybe, that
depends on your specific customizations.

What do you mean by 'customized reports'? Are these just saved report
configurations, as within GnuCash, or custom *coded* reports? (the
latter will likely require tweaking their code to continue working) For
'Saved Configurations' most should translate just fine, but there were
some issues in either the 3.x or 4.x jump that required some fidgeting
with their options to get them to work again. (doable, but not effortless)

The move to 3.x will also change some storage locations, especially for
things like custom coded reports, and user configurations. (style sheets
included) These should be preserved just fine and moved to their new
homes by the upgrade, but there we some hiccups for some users. (for
Windows users if I'm not mistaken)

The Wiki has more info on upgrading procedures and caveats. It also
contains the storage locations before and after version 3.x. (so you'll
know where things are now, where they should end up, and then if things
don't go right, how to fix that)

Maybe someone else can help with specifics if they've encountered issues
with Report Configurations or Style Sheets.

Otherwise, you'll first want to update to 2.6.21 which was the last of
the 2.6 series.

Then update to 3.11, the last of the 3.x series. On first opening your
file(s) with this version, run Actions > Check & Repair > Check & Repair
All. Then look over everything carefully for any breakages. Do this for
each data file or 'book' you keep in GnuCash.

If all is well (solve all issues 1st!) then proceed to 4.2 which is the
current release. (4.3 due out just before end of year) Again, run the
Actions > Check & Repair > Check & Repair All for each file.

Regards,
Adrien