[GNC] Some basic questions about bills and invoices

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sat Dec 12 12:00:24 EST 2020

Eric,

Not sure what you mean by 'modify and save the templates' and then not
being sure how to use them again.

First, there are four Invoices in Reports > Business—Easy, Fancy,
Printable, and Tax. A cursory glance at the options and they all look
the same to me, but detailed testing would have to reveal their differences.

Second, just like any other report, you can use the Save Configuration
button.

Third, you will probably want to combine the Saved Configuration with
some stylesheet tweaks. You can edit an existing stylesheet, or make a
new one. Then assign this stylesheet in Options for that Invoice Report
before saving that config.

Fourth, here's the not so fun part, I don't think you can use the normal
methods to generate an invoice using the saved config by default. You
have to go to Reports > Saved Configurations > {desired invoice report}
and then Options > General > Invoice Number to choose which invoice you
want to generate the custom 'invoice' for.

I don't know if this is filed already, but a good enhancement request
would be to have the ability to set a Saved Configuration as the default
for *any* report, but especially invoices.

Of course in your case, if you want the special Quote and PO versions,
you'd still need to go to the Saved Configurations window first as you
do currently since there is no way for GnuCash to know which one you want.

Beyond this, you could duplicate one of the existing invoice.scm files,
customize it to your liking, and then make it available in GnuCash using
a config-usr.scm file. I think for one of these you can then set it as
the default for regular invoices. (But you can save a click or so by
including your PO and Quote versions in the menu as well, skipping the
Saved Config dialog) In the case of the latter two, you'll always have
to choose the invoice after running the report initially.

----

As for the multi-document payment, when using the Process Payment
window, simply select each document the payment is applying to, without
regard to if the payment covers them all in their entirety, or is an
overpayment of all available documents.

If the payment covers them all exactly, they will all be marked paid and
removed from the Pending list.

If one invoice is still shy, it will continue to age for the remaining
balance and that remainder will be on your pending list. (and can be
easily closed out with a subsequent payment)

If an overpayment, the remainder will be held as a credit balance in the
the AR/AP account and can be applied to a subsequent document. Be sure
when closing that document, to choose both it and the overpayment credit
so it can be applied properly.

Regards,
Adrien