[GNC] barcode & invoices

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 17:32:49 EST 2020

I just checked, there are several programs in the Linux world that are free
and intended to generate QR codes.  There are probably comparable programs
for the Windows and Mac worlds.  Many of them use a backend called
Libqrencode. it may be possible to use one of them to apply to gnuCash.

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 4:17 PM Adrien Monteleone <
adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:

> For a QR, I would think not, but it might be possible to generate a
> printable traditional bar code (using a bar code font) that changes with
> each invoice. What exactly it needs to encode is still the first question.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> On 12/15/20 3:53 PM, David Cousens wrote:
> > Gour,
> >
> > Presumably either the tax office assigns the QR  barcode or this done by
> the
> > user from a set of QR codes assigned to the user by the tax office or
> the QR
> > code encodes certain specific information from the invoice ( and or the
> > business) and can be generated when the invoice is created. The details
> of
> > how this is done will be important for any implementation. The other
> problem
> > is where implementation of such features and the requirements are
> different
> > in different countries and how GC copes with that.
> >
> > There is already a facility to associate an external file, which could
> be a
> > png of the QR barcode for a particular transaction. I think that will
> work
> > with business transactions. Getting GC to print a QR barcode onto an
> invoice
> > may be a bit more problematical.
> >
> > See
> >
> https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/pt/gnucash-guide/bus-ar-invoicechange.html
> > for current  invoice customisation. At present there is no facility for
> > adding an image which changes with the invoice number and is indexed by
> that
> > number.

David Carlson