[GNC] Invoice payment

Garry Cooke garryocooke at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 20:19:34 EST 2020

Thanks guys, now i get. Selected all invoices and did what i expected. Cheers, garry

[Garry Cooke - Chat @ Spike](https://spikenow.com/r/a/?ref=spike-organic-signature&_ts=tfxdm)	[tfxdm]

On December 17, 2020 at 0:11 GMT, Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:

On the first payment (assuming it is more than the 1st invoice as you
describe):

Select 1st and 2nd invoices. GnuCash will 'close out' the first one
entirely, and apply the rest as a partial payment to invoice #2.

Otherwise, GnuCash doesn't know *which* subsequent invoices should have
the payment applied. (and why you see that remainder as a credit or
pre-payment on subsequent uses of the 'Process Payment' dialog)

If you do not select an invoice, you will always get it assigned as
'pre-payment' and the window offers a warning at the bottom that it will
not be linked to any document.

Yes, you can always apply the pre-payments by selecting them with
appropriate invoices. (that's how you accomplish such a task) But as you
noted, how that shows up in the register and on reports will differ from
how it would appear if you used the above procedure. (as it should in
such a case)

On the 2nd Payment, select the 2nd invoice that still has a balance, and
then the 3rd invoice. Again, if there is left-over payment, it will be
retained as a pre-payment. If it is not sufficient to cover invoice #3,
then that invoice will remain as pending for the amount remaining. If it
perfectly pays off invoice #2 & #3, then they will both be fully closed
out as paid.

Regards,
Adrien