[GNC] Bankrupt stock

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 30 00:40:51 EST 2020

     On 2020-12-29 14:18, smada46 wrote:

     I have a stock that went bankrupt, i.e. zero value.  I have tried
     repeatedly to remove the stock by selling the shares at $0.00 per
     share, but no matter what combination I use, it changes the cost or
     amount so it does not remove the shares.  For example, I put -2000
     shares in and $0.00 in cost and zero under the sell column.  After I
     hit enter, the shares show 1980 not zero.  How do I get rid of this
     stock?

     Why would you want to remove it? Use the Price database to set its
     value to zero. The Portfolio reports will not include it unless you
     specifically select it.
     Regardless of their value, you still own those shares - and will
     always own them. So you can't sell them - either in real life or in
     GnuCash.

   I had a stock that went bankrupt. My broker allowed me to sell it to
   him for a pittance (a few cents for the lot). So I do not own those
   shares anymore and no longer appear on my broker's web site or my
   monthly statements.
--
  .~.  Jean-David Beyer
  /V\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey