[GNC] Linux build

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Thu Dec 31 15:32:52 EST 2020

Jimmy

Once all the dependencies are installed, that is all that is necessary. You
may need a sudo on the make install. I install to /usr/local not /opt. AFAIK
a user doesn't have  permissions for /opt without sudo.

cmake will occasionally fail if the dependencies have changed.  I have never
really bothered with a script. I put the dependency installation commands
into a script (just copy the sudo apt install commands into a bash script)
but I have usually found that by the time I need to run the script (major GC
versions upgrades and OS upgrades), I have to update it anyway as the
dependency versions have usually changed slightly.

I use scripts for the build if I do any development work (from git
repository) as that involves repeatedly building the program and where
possible I only rebuild libraries which have changed. They are customised
for navigating the development environment as I have it set up.

I don't find it worth the effort of remembering a script name for the
occasional build from the tarball. Using ninja instead of make for the build
is usually a bit faster. ( Add -GNinja as a switch to the cmake command and
substitute ninja for make in the rest).

David

-----
David Cousens