[GNC] Apple Card csv

Alton Brantley alton.brantley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 12:44:32 EST 2020

I successfully download the Applecard CSV through the iPhone, transfer it over to my mac with AirDrop, and import it into my account on Mac Catalina with Gnucash 3.8.

Getting CSV import set up can take a bit of fiddling, but once you get it all configured so it goes through, and you save the configuration, it’s virtually painless.

Fiddling involves setting starting lines to skip, character set, selecting the correct columns (remember that positive amounts are withdrawals, so your payment will show as a negative, and selecting the appropriate account for them to be loaded.

BE AWARE, transaction matching can really mess up, so I recommend not using it. It would be great if it only sought to match from the last closing date to the present…. Also, It would be nice if the accounts pull-down menu matched the order of accounts in your file, but they appear to be in balance sheet order (assets, liabilitys, income, an expense), so you may have to look through the whole list to find your account.

Finally, the process is, for a reason unknown to me, terribly slow, so it seems like nothing is happening, even for a very small import. For a very active account, it can seem like the program has hung. Go get a cup of coffee or take a bathroom break!

-Alton Brantley