[GNC] Is there a way to change the currency of an account?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 15:29:15 EST 2020

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 12:20 AM aegross <aegross at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just did a similar fat fingering. I associated the *wrong security* for
> an
> account after entering the transaction history -- less than 20
> transactions.
> But thought I would ask -- since this thread is a couple of years old...
> want to confirm that the attribute cannot be edited.

I might be wrong, but if you don't want to re-type the transactions you
might try this

0) make a backup of your data just in case I'm wrong

1) Create a new security account with the correct currency/security

2) Delete the account with the transaction history in it

3) GnuCash will ask you where you want the transactions -- tell it to put
the transactions in the new account

4) If this does not "re-parent" the transactions to the correct
currency/security, exit GnuCash, restore the backed-up data file and go to
"plan B," which I presume means deleting and retyping the transactions.

(Alternatively you can just delete the account and tell GnuCash to delete
the transactions, and then re-type them.)