[GNC] GNUCash XML format compatibility

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sun Feb 9 23:25:45 EST 2020

Wirawan,

I don't think anyone has mapped out the changes in data file structures.
That information will be contained in the Release Notes for each version.
The 2.6 to 3 transition involved some changes in the locations that user
configuration files are located in on the various systems which are detailed
in the wiki at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations but I
am not sure about any data file changes. I don't remember there being any.
I think the transition was from ~2.6.21 as the last stable version of the
2.6 series to V3.1 and I have seen recommendations to upgrade to at least
2.6.19 before moving to the V3 series for minimum disruption. AFAIK once the
data has been migrated to V3 it is not usually possible to go back to the
v2.6 series but this may simply be the effect of the configuration file
locations and not necessarily any changes in the XML file itself.

If possible it would be better to go to the same V3 version on both systems
at the same time. I access my datafiles which are located in a Dropbox from
both a Linux and Windows systems but upgrade both to the most recent version
at the same time. recent changes in Dropbox have affected the ability to do
this though.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens