[GNC] Where to charge? Ins pays us, we pay vendor.

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Feb 11 12:54:49 EST 2020

This is an accounting question and is a bit more than generic, you’d need to ask a local CPA.

Some questions to clear up before you ask them:

1. Do you record an asset to reflect the pending claim until paid? (also, what happens if it isn’t paid? see #3)

2. Or is this just a passthru? (like sales/VAT, the money goes through your hands, but it isn’t part of business operations)

3. How is the vendor involved? Do you have a liability to them (bill or otherwise) that the insurance payout satisfies? (hence, per #1, do you still owe them if the claim isn’t paid by the insurance company?)

Getting those straight will help you determine how to proceed.

Not all transactions involving Vendors/Customers (creditors/borrowers) need to involve either Expense or Income accounts. They might only affect Liabilities and/or Assets.

Once you have a clear picture of the full nature of the transaction(s) involved and official guidance, then we can help, if you need, to set up the accounts and/or structure the transactions.

Regards,
Adrien