[GNC] Where to charge? Ins pays us, we pay vendor.

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Feb 11 19:09:15 EST 2020

I could be misunderstanding, but it appears that you are expensing someone else’s expenses, not those of your own business operations. That generally isn’t correct.

Expense accounts in your business’ books are for money spent in the operations of *your* business. That is, things like rent, utilities, business insurances (like general liability, or workman’s compensation) office supplies, professional fees (legal, accounting, etc.) and other sales and administrative costs. All of these are things that are part of *your* cost of providing goods/services to your clients.

If you provide a service of handling or facilitating payments for other entities/people, those would most likely be handled as a passthru and would only hit your liabilities and/or assets, but not your expenses or income. (save for the income part that you add on as your own charges or take a percentage as a fee)

This is definitely not a simple business setup. You *REALLY* need the advise of a local and certified public accountant, preferably one who specializes in your niche industry. (and not just ‘health care’ in general) The cost of their advise is one of *your* business expenses and will be well worth the price considering how messy this could get without it.

You need a very clear picture of how these transactions are supposed to be structured before this list can help any further with the GnuCash implementation part.

Regards,
Adrien