[GNC] Where to charge? Ins pays us, we pay vendor. Resolved

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Thu Feb 13 12:20:35 EST 2020

On 2/13/20 8:34 AM, Fran_3 via gnucash-user wrote:
>  This question was in regards to an individual recording a trip to the doctor in their personal GC system.What was somewhat unusual here was the medial insurance paid the patient instead of directly paying the doctor
> Here is the original scenario:1 - Doctor billed patient2 - Insurance paid patient3 - Patient paid doctor
> The attached picture shows how is was recorded in GC.Problem solved... right?
> (And yes, this probably should have been posted to some account forum for US accounting procedures. Can anyone suggest one?)

Wouldn't this be just like any other reimbursable expense?  Normally the
insurance is billed by the doctor and pays the doctor.  In some cases
the doctor may not have a relationship with the insurance company (out
of network) and may feel they need to bill the patient.  However, the
patient may have an agreement (approved referral) to have those expenses
reimbursed.

Therefore, this wouldn't be an expense to that patient.  Like any
expense you pay in relationship to your job for which you know you will
get reimbursed, you don't book it as an expense but rather put that
"split" against an asset account for reimbursement.  When paid, it
offsets that reimbursement account with the other "split" going back to
checking (for both transactions).

In cases when I don't know in advance that it will be reimbursed, I then
enter the original transaction as an expense.  When it is reimbursed
then I offset that expense account by the amount of the reimbursement.
The net effect is that the expense account doesn't really have that
expense when all the transactions are done.

Normally when the doctor bills the insurance and is paid by them, that
portion paid by the insurance is never entered into a personal set of
books.  It is a transaction between the doctor and the insurance
company.  There may be co-pays involved in which the patient pays a
portion (10% or 20% or ...).  That portion would be booked as a medical
expense in the personal set of accounting books.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
kg7je at arrl.net