[GNC] about these account-summary reports...

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Feb 13 18:06:40 EST 2020

A) textbook style

I’ve played with it, but I’m not clear on what the target result is supposed to be. It looks like the subtotals don’t line up properly when using it.

It *might* have been designed to supposedly put lines *between* the last child account and the subtotal, rather than a line under the last child and then kick the subtotal off to the next column, all in the same line. Looking at some text examples, this is how they are arranged. (everything in one column with single and double lines between sub and final totals, and a blank line after each subtotal for readability) Though some texts use the method to kick subtotals and final totals to another column. (which makes for simpler spreadsheet formulas, but takes up more horizontal space)

If you managed to get that display right easy enough, I’d say keep it. I’d bet some people are exporting to a spreadsheet just to get that result. (I do this with a comparison P&L so I can add percentage and variance columns, thus I want all figures in one column for a period, not kicked off to the side)

This *I think* should be the result:

Parent A
  Child 1	$ 1.00
  Child 2	$ 2.00
		------
Total Parent A	$ 3.00

Parent B
  Child 1	$ 4.00
  Child 2	$ 5.00
		------
Total Parent B	$ 9.00

		======
Grand Total	$12.00

(subtotal and total ‘lines’ would be over lines or top-borders, not their own row in the table like shown above)

I’m not familiar with whatever ‘cononically-tabbed’ means.

B) parent-account-balances = do not show

My memory is fuzzy from the other thread, and maybe your changes will preserve the desired effect while not preventing non-placeholder parents from being invisible, but I wouldn’t get rid of this option on face.

The use case I’m thinking of is selecting to show zero amounts and not wanting the placeholder parent accounts to have a figure. (which is just visual clutter) This effectively turns the initial display of the parent account in to a heading —e.g.,

Parent A
  Child 1	$ 1.00
  Child 2	$ 0.00
  Child 3	$ 2.00
Total Parent A	------  $ 3.00

If you get rid of ‘do not display’ and still show zero figures you’d get:

Parent A		$ 0.00
  Child 1	$ 1.00
  Child 2	$ 0.00
  Child 3	$ 2.00
Total Parent A	------  $ 3.00

Without the ‘do not display’ option. To keep that visual clutter out, one would be forced to not show zero balance children. Some people strictly adhere to the *recommended* practice in the documentation that all parents be set as placeholders. This change would leave them with $0.00 figures for every parent. (yes, I’m one of those people) I may need all child accounts to show up, zero or not. (especially for exporting to spreadsheet for comparison reports) But I certainly don’t want a bunch of $0.00 figures for my placeholder parent accounts.

I’m not sure how to reconcile the display option with the case of intentionally or un-intentionally ‘hiding’ non-placeholder parent balances. How complicated is it to honor the ‘do not display’ if the balance is zero, but ignore it otherwise?

Or maybe it is the ‘omit zero balance figures’ option that is not working properly. (thus, you can get rid of the ‘do not show’ option, but since the balance is zero, it won’t display anyway)

Regards,
Adrien