[GNC] Gnu Cash Reports

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sat Feb 15 07:12:55 EST 2020

> On Feb 14, 2020 w7d45, at 10:14 AM, FRANK WILSON via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> Good afternoon
> Are there any reports, or can reports be created, that will list;
> i) All disbursements from start of financial year to end of financial year?
> ii) All receipts from start of financial year to end of financial year?

You might be able to massage the (misnamed) Cash Flow report to get something useful.

You might also just run Account Reports on the relevant asset accounts accordingly.

If you need to show multiple accounts on the same report, you can do a Find operation and then run an Account report, or you can use the Transaction report and only include the needed accounts.

However in any case, I can’t seem to find a way to only show debits *or* credits, but not both. You’d have to move the resulting report to a spreadsheet for further refinement.

> iii) All vendor bills from start of financial year to end of financial year?
> iv) All customer invoices from start of financial year to end of financial year?

Doing a Find operation and then an Account Report on the AR and AP registers respectively you can get something useful.

The Find criteria would be to search for all transactions where ‘Action’ equals ‘Bill’ or ‘Invoice’ respectively.

Unfortunately, the resulting Account Report will only show you the result with each split visible, not a single line per bill/invoice. Again, you’d have to move this to a spreadsheet for something a bit simpler. If you ‘consolidate splits’ when posting, the end result might be manageable, but if you don’t consolidate, the report will be a bit long in the tooth.

-----

As to the question of ‘can these reports be created?’ the answer is ‘yes’ but report writing at this time isn’t simple or even easy.

If you don’t want to delve into Scheme code, you could use one of the database backends and then proceed from there with queries. Look into something called PieCash which has tried to make this process a bit easier.

If the existing reports allowed for filtering based on Action or better yet Type as used in the AR and AP registers, the last two reports would be trivially easy to generate.

Alternatively if the Find Bill/Invoice window allowed you to print the result or copy/paste it somewhere else, then you could do a find on “is posted?”. I suppose if the resulting list isn’t too long, and you just need a visible but not editable result, you could take a screenshot of the find results.

If report options allowed to ‘show only debits’ or ‘only credits’ then the first two would also be very easy.

Regards,
Adrien