[GNC] 3.7 Accounts open bar

elvis elvis at dogonfire.com
Sun Feb 23 05:52:28 EST 2020

On 4/12/19 3:47 am, Geert Janssens wrote:

>>> The "someone" in that sentence is the upstream gtk project. We depend on
>>> their code to create the graphical user interface for gnucash. When Gtk
>>> switched from version 2 to 3, they redesigned all of the user interface
>>> elements the gtk library provides. In many cases the new elements take up
>>> more space as you noted.
>>>
>>> As to what can be done about it: you can tweak the style sheet used by
>>> gnucash to render the user interface elements on screen. Starting points
>>> for this can be found here:
>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3#Visual_Styling
>> Thanks Geert,
>> I'm both super happy that I can do something about it, and also sad to find
>> out that all those threads that ended in "fix the CSS" apply to me. I was
>> hoping it wouldn't be the case but kind of expecting it. I will report back
>> with results.
> I do sympathize.
>
> Unfortunately the GnuCash development team is too small to maintain its own
> custom css style to adjust for the design choices made by the Gtk developers.
> We used to have a theme selector for 2.6, but that was no longer supported
> either after Gtk switched to version 3.
>
> If you happen to be on linux (you didn't mention your platform) you could try
> to use the gnome tweak tool to install a different gtk3 theme. You can
> download plenty from https://www.gnome-look.org/browse/cat/135/order/latest/
>
> I don't know of a similar tool for the other platforms but it should be
> possible to install a different Gtk theme on these platforms as well, albeit
> manually. If you find a nice predefined gtk theme that uses layout choices
> that better fit your requirements you could try that route rather than
> tweaking css directly.

Hi Geert,

I have managed to make a start on what I would like..

tab * {
   font: 9px arial, sans-serief;
}

in    .config/gnucash/gtk-3.0.css      changes the font size in the
tabs, but it is in every tab including the setting tabs. I can't work
out how to make it just to apply to the notebook gtk section. Also the
padding on the tabs could definitely be optimised as well to fit more
text in. I can see the setting in gtk inspector, but don't know how to
translate that to into css. It is not very intuitive! All the examples
seem to be adjusting colours and other fairly simple stuff.

Lawrence

--
Ahh. The joy of Windows. Second only to the joy of getting kicked square in the biscuits.