[GNC] Happy New Year

Alan A Holmes gnucash at alanaholmes.me.uk
Wed Jan 1 04:15:45 EST 2020

+1

I started using GnuCash at the start of 2019. I'd been using a very old UK
version of Quicken (Quicken 2000 with free Y2K updates, the last ever UK
version), which was getting harder to use with each MS OS upgrade. I'd been
a Quicken user since the mid '80's.

I initially tried to migrate my old data across, but gave up on that as too
much data and getting too many problems. I decided to just archive (reports
and csv file exports of the files) the Quicken data and start from scratch
in GnuCash. It's taken some getting used to double entry bookkeeping, and
some of the terminology is confusing when you've been using Quicken for 25+
years. However, apart from one or two minor things, I'm very happy using it
for my home finances. I've only learnt how to use the things I need to use,
so I've not had to delve too deeply into the 2 manuals except when
necessary.

I'm gradually making use of additional features, as and when necessary. And
following various threads on this forum has been a great help, enabling me
learn new ways of doing things to make it easier to use.

Extremely glad I made the break from Quicken at the end of 2018, and looking
forward to making even greater use of GnuCash in 2020.

Thanks to all the developers, and those offering advice.

Happy New Year to all.

Alan A Holmes