[GNC] v3.8

Greg Feneis mfeneis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 11:37:58 EST 2020

Happy New Year, All

Perhaps a better strategy is for the ordinary user to do the waiting.  As
is the case with a variety of software, both FOSS and commercial, you take
some risk when immediately installing and running newly released software.
It's just too complicated to test for all possible contingencies.  Seems
like the developers have to make the best compromise between development
efforts and checking for every possible issue.  Don't forget, everyone
working on this project is doing it to benefit everyone for free.  They
somewhat rely on users to test and report back about their issues.

If anyone has resources to donate, please inquire where you may help.
Anyone who has time may can get involved with helping to test before
release, for example.  I imagine there's a way to get access to a regular
(perhaps daily?) build.  This could be compiled and installed on a spare
computer and tested with a copy of your normal working data.  Report back
what happens.  I don't mean to direct this effort, but if anyone wants this
process to improve, they should consider donating resources toward that
improvement.

I wish I had time to help more, but in my case, I'm still on 2.6.21.  It
serves me well, so I have no need to upgrade other than for a circumstance
where I need to ask how to do something, it's better to have a recent
version running.

My wish is that there was an easy way to install a newer GnuCash release
without giving up the previous, that they could run alongside each other
for a while.

Kind regards,

Greg Feneis