[GNC] OFX/qfx Downloads from American Express

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 14:15:46 EST 2020

It seems that American Express and Intuit software are colluding on a new
method of downloading ofx/qfx format files from American Express.  They
have changed the format so that, according to their website, one needs to
Deactivate Online Banking Services for a Quicken Account, then Reactivate
Online Banking Services for a Quicken Account in order to get a clean
download.  Since we do not have Quicken accounts, this will probably fail
for us.  It appears that this process will probably spread to all financial
institutions that support qfx downloads via a license with Intuit
software.  American Express also supports CSV format, so I am now trying
that method.

If others have run into this problem and found a solution to make ofx/qfx
work with this new interference, please post your experience here.

I have noticed that while CSV is short for Comma Separated Values, many CSV
files use a different separator, and some require text to be enclosed with
quotes.  Fortunately, the GnuCash CSV importer tolerates these anomalies.

--
David Carlson