[GNC] Gnucash V3.x NSTextInputClient protocol non-compliance

KUSUMOTO Norio kusumoto at na.rim.or.jp
Thu Jan 2 23:43:10 EST 2020

Hi,

> Please remember to copy the list in all replies.

I am sorry that my reply is to both an individual and this mailing list. This happened
because I didn't realize that the mailing list was not included in the original reply
you wrote. This can be confirmed by the fact that your first reply is not included in
the mailing list archive. ;-)

> A long keypress just types the letter when I use the US keyboard.

I think this is because the reproduction method was not well conveyed to you
because my expression was inappropriate. In particular, my expression of "KEYBOARD"
was bad.

I prepared an image to show that.

<https://twitter.com/kusumotoukulele/status/1212898597722718208>

> The Gtk input module is https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/blob/gtk-3-24/modules/input/imquartz.c and it mostly wraps NSTextInputClient. It hasn't been updated in a few years and so it has gotten a little out of sync with Apple's code, but the problem with tab, return, and arrow keys is GnuCash's fault: For the most part I think that the IM works correctly except in the register, but you're a far better judge of that than I am. Does it work the way you expect in dialog boxes?

Oh! it's not so bad that the text input in the dialog box.
This is a bright spot for improving Gnucash 3.x. If we can mediate between IM and
Gnucash for events, we can improve the situation.

It was my misunderstanding that the item of the account does not accept the conversion
separator by the cursor key. However, I can't do it in dialog boxes.

The variation input by holding down the 'a' key is also accepted in the text input
area of the dialog box, but there is a problem that the original 'a' is left in addition
to the selected characters. It seems to me that 'replacementRange' does not work well.

--
KUSUMOTO Norio