[GNC] transaction entries

Carl Hofinga chofinga at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 7 00:39:08 EST 2020

When I make transactions entries I enter 1) the date; 2) a reference number if applicable; 3) for the description column I enter a vendor or payee name such as Target or the payee's name; 4) the correct general ledger account number; 5) the debit or credit  $ amount. There can be splits also. A few days ago I encountered a problem. When I entered a previously used vendor like Target it automatically displays the previous entry for this vendor & in this case it was a split and the new entry is not. This means that I needed to enter only one account number for the charge. I am crediting or using a liability account for a specific credit card payable. But it would not let me delete parts of the split transaction down to one account. The latest upgrade has been made - I think it was 3.8. In the past, I have not had a problem deleting unneeded accounts for a specific account. To get around this problem I had to create a new vendor name for Target like Target-1.

Actually I would prefer to not have the previous entry display its account & debit or credit amounts when making an entry for a previously used vendor.

Is there a way to not to display the general ledger and dollar entries when making entries for a previously used  vendor. I do not have vendor account names set up as I do not write checks using GnuCash.

Thank you.