[GNC] Tracking designated balances in the total checking account balance?

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Thu Jan 9 08:04:25 EST 2020

The issue I am wrestling with is how to deal with what I will call
designated funds that our organization tracks internally but are just
part of the one checking account.

To explain further.

Say there is a total checking balance of $1000.00.  Then say there are
two standing funds one with $200.00 and the other with $400.00.
Conceptually I have:

Fund A		$200.00
Fund B		$400.00
Undesignated	$400.00

Total (as the bank statement shows) $1000.00

As deposits and withdrawals are made, in order to keep sync with the
bank statement I should just work with the running account total at all
times.

Initially, I thought I should create and transfer funds to additional
Assets accounts, but this doesn't work, as I see it, especially for
reconciliations as the checking balance gets reduced accordingly.  If I
don't track the bank account closely, I'll go insane!

I guess the standing funds will need to be tracked outside of GNU Cash,
perhaps in a spreadsheet.  Their balances will change throughout the
year but not so often as to make this method unmanageable.

The outgoing Treasurer used Quicken/Quick Books (whichever, I don't
know) and he gave me several .qdf-backup files which are naturally not
usable by GNU Cash.  I'm not sure if he understood my request for an
export to .qif.  I'm loathe to buy a Windows 10 computer just for this
so I'm starting from scratch to get going as quickly as possible and
then may try to help him generate a .qif file sometime down the road.
I'm not sure how he tracked the standing/designated balances.

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB