[GNC] Navigation in register window

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Jan 10 02:41:20 EST 2020

The Help Guide documents all of the screens, menus, shortcuts, etc.

The Tutorial & Concepts guide walks you through using GnuCash to keep track of various types of finances. There are also a few scattered tidbits concerning the UI there. (for example, resizing register columns is located in the Tutorial, not the Help for some reason)

It is a good idea to read over both documents at least once to be familiar with them and gain some familiarity with the software.

I’d offer a shorter specific answer with the exact shortcut, but as I am stuck without an extended keyboard, I don’t use those two.

Another place to look would be the menus, specifically the Action menu. Most of them (and that one in particular) will change entries based on the screen in view. So viewing a register, you’ll see entries in the Action menu particular to account registers and transaction entry. One of them is ‘Blank Transaction’ which will take you to the next empty transaction, usually at the bottom of the window. (I say usually, because it will default to ’today’, but if you have future dated transactions already posted, they will sit below the blank transaction, though this is not usual or common practice)

Note that most menu entries have an assigned keyboard shortcut (known as ‘accelerators’) so you don’t have to use the mouse if you don’t want to.

Regards,
Adrien