[GNC] Handling of Equity and Retained Earnings

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Jan 15 22:22:47 EST 2020

Someone moving from another application or from paper *would* have a non-zero Retained Earnings account that would *not* be reflected in the opening balances of the Asset or Liabilities accounts.

The balance of that account would have been the result of closing Income and Expenses in previous years.

In fact, I don’t see how carrying the Asset and Liabilities balances would even overall balance, without Retained Earnings. (or any other special Equity accounts, like “Owner’s Equity” or stock accounts, which may have previously existed in the books with carry-over balances)

Yes, you’d create the following:

Dr. Equity:Opening Balances
Cr. Equity:Retained Earnings

Just as was done with the Asset and Liability accounts.

There is no need to carry over all of the Income and Expense accounts. They are zero anyway since those old books were closed.

Now, if such a person wanted to *start from scratch* with GnuCash, then no, they wouldn’t need such an account.

Regards,
Adrien