[GNC] Handling reimbursements?

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Fri Jan 17 12:47:16 EST 2020

What is everyone's thoughts on handling reimbursements received for
ongoing expenses?  In our church arrangement our congregation pays
various expenses through the month and then at the end of the month the
other congregation is given an invoice and the payment is received.
Conceptually easy.  I'll be creating the invoice from a spreadsheet for
now as this is what the previous treasurer provided to me.

What I'm wrestling with where to put the amounts billed and the funds
received.  The previous check, the one received for Dec 2019 I merely
applied the receipts to the expense accounts but it seems not to be
ideal when I run reports later in the year.

As I understand it, I could create an AR account under Assets and
eventually generate an invoice from that and apply the receipts to it as
well.  Am I correct?

To complicate matters a bit, our budget is currently structured so that
the net of these expenses, i.e. total expenses minus reimbursed amounts,
is our budgeted amount for these particular expenses.  Despite my
question a while back I have not gotten back to the budget in GNU Cash.

Thanks!

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB