[GNC] Owner Contributions & Distributions

Don Ireland gnuCash at donireland.com
Fri Jan 17 16:17:17 EST 2020

I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to handle owner contributions and distributions in gnucash.  I understand them in concept but I'm just confused as to how the accounts get set up.

My 1st thought was to create an asset account called Owner Contributions and another called Distributions.  But then when when I take Distributions, unless I take the funds from this contributions account, it'll just continue to grow.

Plus when I credit this account but deposit the money in the checking account, gnucash would see both as credits.  So then I thought maybe it's a liability account but that still leaves the question as to separating the contributions and distributions.

Do I create one account called Contributions & Distributions and credit/debit this single account?  Is it a liability account?
Don Ireland