[GNC] Sales Tax Report

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Sun Jan 19 14:29:05 EST 2020

On 1/19/20 10:22 AM, Keith Fetterman wrote:
> Adrien,
>
> Thanks for the help. w
>
> In the state of Washington, we need to report the local city/county sales tax for each physical location we do work in.  The state assigns a tax code based on address.  The business is a very small landscaping business that only does work in a few local locations, so fortunately there are not many tax codes to keep track of.
>
> I have created a tax table for each tax code and assigned it to a customer.  This works because the physical work locations are the customers’ homes.  If work done in a different location, it’s almost always in the same area.
>
> I see what you mean about creating a sub account for each custom location.  In general, this could become very large.  Your suggestion of using filters is a good one.  I hadn’t thought of it.  But, it doesn’t appear that you add notes to the memo lines of an invoice.  I tested adding a note in the invoice to see if it would appear in the memo line in AR.  It doesn’t.  The invoice transaction in the AR is locked so you can not edit the memo lines.
>
> The ideal solution is a report of taxable sales by tax table.
>
> Thanks,
> Keith

Keith,

I also have a small business in Washington State that mails product to
the buyers (very small amount of personal sales handed "over the
counter").  I built a SQLite3 database to track the individual orders
along with the State and Local jurisdiction collected taxes.  It is just
too complicated to keep track in GnC.  For 2020Q1 there are 476 distinct
local jurisdictions and 1,185,337 address locators in the states
downloadable files.  In two cases, the same block-face (same zip +
zip-4) has different location codes based on the house number.  However,
the hosting site (Squarespace) will only apply taxes at the zip code
level of which there are 716 different zip codes in the state.

Thankfully I don't have "presence" in any other state (yet).  Also,
thankfully, I can download the orders direct from the web site in CSV
format.  I only have to manually add the very few OTC sales.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com