[GNC] Sales Tax Report

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Jan 21 13:41:16 EST 2020

> On Jan 19, 2020 w4d19, at 12:22 PM, Keith Fetterman <keithfetterman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Adrien,
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> In the state of Washington, we need to report the local city/county sales tax for each physical location we do work in.  The state assigns a tax code based on address.  The business is a very small landscaping business that only does work in a few local locations, so fortunately there are not many tax codes to keep track of.

My state is similar as well. I used to work for a furniture store that had to charge and file and remit based on the point of delivery. The situation is such a mess with local jurisdictions that three houses next to each other could be charged three different rates because they each happen to fall in a different jurisdiction. Politicians don’t care and just assume “computers make it easy."

> I have created a tax table for each tax code and assigned it to a customer.  This works because the physical work locations are the customers’ homes.  If work done in a different location, it’s almost always in the same area.
>
> I see what you mean about creating a sub account for each custom location.  In general, this could become very large.  Your suggestion of using filters is a good one.  I hadn’t thought of it.  But, it doesn’t appear that you add notes to the memo lines of an invoice.  I tested adding a note in the invoice to see if it would appear in the memo line in AR.  It doesn’t.  The invoice transaction in the AR is locked so you can not edit the memo lines.

Yep, special sub-accounts could grow considerably. If however, you routinely do business in a set list of jurisdictions, it might be doable. (but I would probably choose to learn Scheme and write the proper report as I suspect that would be less work in the long run, and of course, ideal as you note.)

I don’t mean to add notes to a memo line, I mean to use the Description in each line item to include the info you need. Unfortunately, this doesn’t always work well with how you need the invoice itself to look. Also you can’t edit invoice memos in AR as you have discovered. (same for bills in AP) you really shouldn’t be editing either AR/AP directly if you are using the business features. Use the provided methods of invoice/bill/process-payment as needed to make any changes. Think of AR/AP as special read-only registers that show you the resulting transactions that are entered into your books by the business features.

Regards,
Adrien