[GNC] Car Repair Shop GNU questions

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Jan 21 13:54:21 EST 2020

#1 - I don’t think so, at least not without a custom invoice report.

#2 - You can type anything you want there, but without re-coding the UI, you can’t add anything to the drop down list. That would be a good case for an RFE. And on that note, I’m not sure why the column is even there if you can’t use it to generate sub-total lines per your Question 1.

#3 - I’m not familiar with this, but others can help. There are limitations. You can grab transactions from the bank, but I don’t think you can create them from within GnuCash. From reading list threads I think more people opt to download from the bank separately in CSV format and then import rather than link directly, but certainly some do.

#4 - Again, not without re-coding the UI. But you can put them in the description field.

GnuCash isn’t set up for inventory based businesses at least insofar as providing any inventory tracking facility. That can be handled outside of GnuCash and then the resulting transactions imported. If you put the part # in the description, and don’t “consolidate splits” when you post invoices, the AR (and income) register will show the individual line items and from there you can run transaction reports filtering off of part #’s or other terms in the description. Unfortunately, the Action Items column is not exposed in AR, but you can post to separate income sub accounts. You could set one up for Labor, Parts, Shop Supplies, etc. This would also make the P&L/Income Statement more informative as to where the revenue is coming from.

Likewise, invoices can be imported to GnuCash. So if your friend wanted to still handle AR with GnuCash, you can create the invoices as needed in a spreadsheet or other app and then import them. Check the Help & Guide about importing business data.

Regards,
Adrien