[GNC] Foreign Currencies in one account

Marcell Madar madarmarci at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 20:06:20 EST 2020

Hello everyone,

Our family has one common GnuCash account in Hungarian Forints (HUF) that is
used to track our Hungarian bank account and the rental property related
transactions. Almost all transactions are recorded in HUF. However, my
brother exchanged CAD to HUF and put it in the Hungarian account. He also
purchased things in CAD (with credit card) that are rental property expenses
and thus recorded in GnuCash.

Note: My brother wants to get back exactly the same amount of CAD as he used
for rental property expenses or exchanged to HUF. I understand that there
will be a gain/(loss) on exchange and this has to be accounted for.

What is the most effective way to record the transactions so that all
reports are correctly shown in HUF and that the Balance Sheet is actually
balanced?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Marcell