[GNC] Error retrieving price quotes

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Jul 1 20:03:05 EDT 2020

> On Jul 1, 2020, at 10:17 AM, John Haiducek <jhaiduce at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> When I try to fetch prices I get the error "There was a system error while
> retrieving the price quotes". No error message is printed to the console.
>
> gnc-fq-dump is able to fetch quotes successfully.
>
> I'm running gnucash 3.10 with Finance::Quote 1.47 on Fedora 32.

For the last couple of years that's most often been because there's a stock set to retrieve quotes from Yahoo! or one of its aliases (though yahoo_json still works). Go through all of your securities and make sure that all of them are set to retrieve from known good sources. If it's still failing, try disabling retrieval on half. If that succeeds, try the other half; if it fails disable half of those remaining. Keep repeating that until you've identified one security that causes the crash. The cause may be immediately apparent, like an invalid source. If not, report back with the security and source that fails.

Regards,
John Ralls