[GNC] Cost Basis Report on Transaction

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Fri Jul 3 10:35:26 EDT 2020

On 7/2/2020 6:13 AM, gnucash at runbox.com wrote:
> I'm evaluating gnuCash for tracking investments.  For my taxes I need a report of all stock sales during the year, showing the cost basis.  Perhaps even a report of the lots used in a sale.  I cannot find any of these on Standard Reports.  Am I missing it somewhere?  Are these reports called something different?

Are you structuring your CoA and entering your stock transactions in
such a way as this data readily available?

In a case like this, it might be useful to get an old accounting book
from the days of pen and ink on paper to see what account structure used
and how transactions entered because they had to produce this
information back then too.

I will simply point out that some of the orgs I kept books for did
things like selling tee shirts as fundraisers, different batches of
shirt bought at different cost, and "gross sales" and "cost of goods
sold" are line items on the 990/990EZ. In this case only needed the
totals BUT could have structured the "gross sales" and "cost of goods
sold" to be able to track separate things, not just total.

Michael D Novack

<< hint -- the transaction recording the sale of a tee shirt type x
would not be just debiting "cash" and crediting "sales". It would also
be debiting "cost of goods sold" and crediting "basis of x shirts". IF
necessary to provide more detail, that could have been children  "sales
of x shirts" and "cost of x shirts sold"