[GNC] Help required

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon Jul 6 10:50:09 EDT 2020

On 7/6/2020 10:40 AM, David Carlson wrote:
> This thread was started by a newbie who is still learning how it works.
> That person doesn't need the extra burden of finding things changing,
> sometimes for the worse, while still learning.

Well I spent my working days in a shop where the motto was "avoid the
bleeding edge"  << wait till new software isn't so new and so time for
bugs to be dealt with >>

BUT -- back to the main question. USUALLY a software update is backward
compatible with the data and this is worth trying since little lost if
it isn't << make a copy of your DATA, see if the new version can open
and then save this data. If so, all well and good. If not, try
installing some intermediate version of the software. NOTICE THAT "make
a copy and test with THAT". This avoids any risk to your real data >>

However I seem to see something lurking here so again a reminder to all
people new to gnucash. Like any sane program, the program (software) and
the data are separate. The data is NOT "in the program". It is important
for you to learn where your data is.

Michael D Novack