[GNC] Budgeting > transfers to liabilities and securities purchase

Mark Walters mark.walters.0 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 03:41:17 EDT 2020

Hi everyone,
I am trying to use Gnucash budgeting and have 2 issues. I have searched the
mailing list and google'd but had no luck.

1.Sign convention issues between budget, transactions and budget reports
I am budgeting for transfers to a liability (mortgage repayment). To make
the budget balance sheet reduce my liability, a positive number is entered
in the budget under mortgage liability. But when I use the estimate
function, the repayments are entered as negative numbers.
i.e. a test repayment of $50k comes through to -$50k with the estimate
function. But the budget balance sheet records an increase in the liability
from $350k to $400k, this should be $350k to $300k. I though perhaps my
liability should have a negative balance, but the transaction entry
(actuals) currently decrease the liability as entered and as expected.

2. Budgeting for securities purchase
I'd like to budget a certain dollar value transaction to buy shares (Say
$1k). When I enter this in the budget. the totals in the budget sheet work
as expected. But the budget balance sheet adds 1000 units to my holding,
instead of the number of units. Understand that the future price is unknown
but the calculation seems inconsistent (dollars in budget, but carried
forward as units). If I enter units in the budget, the budget balance sheet
works.. but then the budget doesn't sum to zero (because no price is
applied to units)
How do others enter this in a budget? Should I have another 'dollar'
account to capture the value of the shares?

Kind Regards,
Mark Walters
Email: mark.walters.0 at gmail.com
Mob: 0404 305 661