[GNC] Gnucash - user: Google result

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Jul 7 10:34:16 EDT 2020

I think David Whiting is on the right track.

People aren’t likely to search for ‘user list gnucash’ or anything ‘user list’.

They’ll search for ‘gnucash forum’, and then they’ll get Nabble results at the top. (and yes, ≈99.99999% of people do not read past the first few results, much less the next page - Google makes billions off this fact, with the SEO industry in tow)

I did my own searches, here are the results:

Google (99%+ of search market)
------
1 & 2 same as David’s results
3 - 5 (see attachment)
#4 - THIS is a problem. That can be fixed by our webmaster. The page title apparently is ‘UNOFFICIAL GnuCash Forum’. (emphasis mine) That is going to turn people away from clicking.

Bing
----
1. gnucash.org
2. wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Getting_Help
3 - 4 (other forums discussing GnuCash)
5. ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1750837 (topic contains both the list *and* nabble references, unfortunately)

Yahoo
-----
*exactly* the same as Bing!?

DuckDuckGo
4+ then same as Bing for a few, then more of their own results.

StartPage
---------
1. wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Getting_Help
2. wiki.gnucash.org/
3. gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/ (text says: “GnuCash forum. ...”)
4. ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1750837 (same thread as Bing)

Some creative page titling, meta, and in-page text might help here, though there is no guarantee. Of course, some things need to be corrected like the ‘unofficial’ text. That has to go.

Regards,
Adrien