[GNC] Multi Line Notes

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Jul 10 18:13:27 EDT 2020

I can't speak to recovering existing data. (It might still be there on
import, just not visible. You'd have to examine the file directly.)

There isn't a multi-line entry possible that I'm aware of, but you have
a couple of options. Neither of which may be optimum, but can be used in
combination if that helps.

#1 - use the Memo field for notes about a particular split. This may
reduce the need for multi-line transaction-wide notes.

#2 - create splits without assigning an amount or account for extra
notes. (multiple 'note' splits may be required) This works similar to
the pen and paper days. Just keep adding lines(splits) as needed for
documentation.

#3 - Create your notes in your favorite text editor. Attach them to the
transaction, or even associate a folder of notes to a transaction.
(You'd need someway to name the notes to tie them in properly in that case)

I normally use these GnuCash fields as follows:

Description - Payee
Notes - purpose or event of transaction
Memos - detail about a particular split or line-item from a receipt.

The 'Action' field is also a free-form field that is available, and to
some extent, so is the NUM field if you aren't using it (at least for
all transactions) as a literal transaction number.

So far, I've only attached scanned receipts to transactions (and
bills/invoices accordingly) but I don't see why a text file couldn't be
used, or even a location of text files.

------
If none of the above really serve your use-case, perhaps file an RFE on
Bugzilla. Though I suspect with the present register code, that feature
would be quite difficult. It might have to wait for a re-write.
(presently stalled)

Regards,
Adrien