[GNC] Prevent register from auto-duplicating transactions?

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Sun Jul 12 15:27:56 EDT 2020

Example: In a trip to the supermarket I buy food, wine, flowers, and
cleaning supplies. To record that, I enter a transaction in GC, in the
register for my credit card:
Description = (store name)
Click the Split button.
In each of four splits, Memo = details of what I bought, Account =
(account for that type of expense), Debit = (amount)
In the fifth split, Memo = blank, Account = (credit card), credit = (total)
All of that is fine. (I don't divide that purchase into four
transactions, because I want the credit amount to match what will be
shown on my credit-card statement.)

But here's the problem. On the next trip to that store, I buy only food.
What I want to do, in the account register for my credit card, is enter
Description = (store name), Transfer = "Groceries", Credit = (amount).
But as soon as I enter the store name in description, GC creates five
splits that duplicate that previous shopping trip. I have to click Split
and manually delete three splits, one at a time.

Is there some way to tell GC "don't finish this one transaction for me"?

Or, almost as good, when it does do the auto-complete, is there some way
to tell it "not this time, thank you", and have it delete all of what it
helpfully created for me??

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com