[GNC] Check printing via the command line?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Jul 17 19:16:16 EDT 2020

> On Jul 17, 2020, at 8:27 AM, Tom Browder <tom.browder at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is there any way to access the check printing capability of GnuCash via a
> CLI?
>
> I haven't tried it via the GUI yet. I just became interested this morning
> when I had to write a check manually and, being of advanced age with
> not-so-good hand-writing, thought about the GnuCash software I've been
> using since I dumped Quicken many years ago.
>
> Note I only use it on Windows at the moment (mainly for access for my
> Windows-only wife), but can use it on my Debian at any time. I'm not
> interested so much interfacing with my account data as in getting the
> printing and check templating access at the moment.
>
> I see only one GnuCash module on CPAN, but that doesn't do what I need,
> although it does provide some help with developing Perl interfaces.
>
> I mainly program in Raku now (see https://raku.org) and its NativeCall
> access will help create the necessary interface if the API is reasonably
> documented or if some kind soul can point me in the right direction. I will
> of course publish anything I write that may be useful to others (see my
> repos at https://github.com/tbrowder).

No, sorry, only reports can be printed from the command line, nor is it possible to make check printing available from the command line  as it's currently implemented as it prints the currently selected transaction from a register. What's more all of the printing functions are internal to dialog-print-check so there's no way for you to script them or even call them from another C program.

Regards,
John Ralls