[GNC] Difficulty with online price retrieval

Samantha Payn samantha at boorertranslations.com
Fri Jul 24 07:33:35 EDT 2020

   Sorry to repeat myself but can anyone help me or shall I have to rely
   on manual input of foreign exchange rates for the foreseeable future? I
   think that Windows has put the online price retrieval somewhere where
   Gnucash cannot "see" it and I am not sufficiently computer literate to
   correct this.
   My problem is that when I go to post an invoice in a "foreign" currency
   the "fetch rate" button is greyed out so I cannot use the online
   currency rate retrieval that I used to be able to before I upgraded my
   hardware.
   After installing the current version of gnucash on my new PC, I clicked
   on "Install Online Price Retrieval" from the Gnucash list in my start
   menu and I have entered the Alfa Vantage API key in my gnucash
   preferences.
   I have checked for the presence of the perl software using the
   Troubleshooting method John Ralls  directed me to and received the
   response that I should install the Finance::Quote. The only way I have
   done this in the past is by clicking on "Install Online Price
   Retrieval" from the Gnucash list in my start menu and this is what I
   have done. So I have done this again and after a run of code in the cmd
   window the final lines are:
   "C:\Strawberry\perl\bin\perl.exe" -MExtUtils::Command -e cp - -
   examples/dm_zdump blib\script\dm_zdump pl2bat.bat blib\script\dm_dump
   SBECK/Date-Manip-6.82.tar.gz
   C:\STRAWB~1\c\bin\gmake.exe - -OK
   Does this mean that online price retrieval has been installed?
   When I look in the Windows list of apps installed it says I have
   installed Strawberry Perl on 3rd July (when I first tried installing it
   on my new PC).
   I am running the latest version of Gnucash and I find that in the help
   window it says
   "Version: 4.0
   Build ID: 4.0+(2020-06-27)
   Finance::Quote: -"
   Please let me know what other information you need in order to be able
   to help me. I am stepping way out of my comfort zone when I enter the
   cmd window but willing to give it a go.
   Best regards
   Samantha