[GNC] BotanyBayGardens nonprofit example, and why GnuCash does not suffice

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Jul 27 15:01:01 EDT 2020

I'm not an accountant or an attorney either. But I've been a manager and
I've caught people stealing from various cash sources. I can attest,
that if you don't track it tightly, even with access control, it will
magically walk away at some point.

Not treating PayPal like an account in your books is asking for trouble.
That's a pile of money that can flow back and forth from and to various
sources and is 'invisible' to the books in that case. That is the very
antithesis of 'accounting'.

For the issue of using cash for disbursements, that is the point of a
petty cash account. (otherwise, it is just 'undeposited funds') Some
organizations as part of their control and accounting mechanisms require
disbursements over a certain amount ($5 is not unusual) to be by check.
Some make it iron clad for any amount. This greatly simplifies cash
handling, tracking and accounting and in such a case, the physical cash
the organization receives is usually handled by a single person. (a good
idea in general)

As for dating transactions, I wouldn't alter anything unless the law
specifically allowed for it. Otherwise, I might reconsider using Accrual
instead of Cash basis if it became a repeated issue.

Regards,
Adrien