[GNC] BotanyBayGardens nonprofit example, and why GnuCash does not suffice

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Jul 27 15:50:25 EDT 2020

Will,

That's a basic tenet of access control. (part of accounting itself, and
is in my text book too.)

The the person with access to funds (of any kind) should not be the
person who accounts for those funds. (but should of course provide all
the required documentation for what they do with them) Some
organizations give access to cash to one person, and access to the
checking account to another.

This can also help get more people involved and 'take interest' and
develop a sense of ownership (and trust) in any organization. And it
spreads the workload not just of the mundane tasks, but of holding each
other accountable.

In my previous life in restaurant work, we had administrative assistants
(trustworthy, long time employees who could do math) that handled the
recording of daily deposits, made change orders, recorded sales
receipts, etc. The managers had access to the cash. The admins turned
over their documentation to the outside accounting firm.

Regards,
Adrien