[GNC] Libboost error upon upgrade to 20.04 from 19.10

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Jun 1 19:54:31 EDT 2020

> On Jun 1, 2020, at 4:32 PM, Tim Kallmer <tkallmer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I get this message now when trying to start GC from the command line:
> "gnucash: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_locale.so.1.67.0:
> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
>
> I tried uninstalling my existing build of 3.8, then installing the
> Ubuntu software center 3.8. Same error.
>
> I tried
> sudo apt remove gnucash-common gnucash python3-gnucash
> sudo apt autoremove
>
> Any ideas to try next?

Boost has the unfortunate habit (shared with ICU) of embedding the release number in their shared library names regardless of compatibility. The libraries are generally compatible as long as they're built with the same compiler so you might be able to get away with symlinks to the libraries gnucash wants to link. For boost those will be libboost_date_time, libboost_filesystem, libboost_locale, and libboost_regex. The right fix is to get the Ubuntu packager to rebuild the package with the new library versions.

Regards,
John Ralls