[GNC] Training the classifier of imported transactions in GnuCash

Gio Bacareza gbacareza at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 06:25:52 EDT 2020

Hi Cliff,

I also want to first say thanks to all the developers. I am a user and a
fan. 2nd, awesome to meet you Cliff. I love your products too.

I was also looking into an automated way of classifying transactions. I did
a quick automl using google and have achieved 90%+ accuracy.

However, I wasn't able to use it because I think gnucash does its own and
requires you to classify them upon import. After a few imports it also
"learns." So subsequent imports will have these transfer accounts
autopopulated.

I hope it helps.

gio

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 5:11 PM Cliff Kushler <ckushler at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello -
>
> I am a long-time user and fan of GnuCash, and start by offering my
> gratitude to everyone who has contributed to it.  For what it’s worth, I am
> also a co-inventor of T9 and Swype, so perhaps I have contributed something
> to make your life easier too.
>
> My question is whether there is a tool, technique or strategy to improve
> the accuracy with which GnuCash assigns imported transactions to
> destination accounts.  I import large quantities of credit card
> transactions, and while many of them are assigned to the correct accounts,
> a very large number of repeat transactions (i.e. from the same vendor) are
> either repeatedly assigned to the same wrong category or simply left as
> “Imbalance-USD”.  I have not been able to identify a way to correct them
> while they are still displayed in the initial import window, although I
> suspect that would be the time to correct them.  I go through and manually
> correct them in the register after importing them, but this does not seem
> to help future classification accuracy.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!  I probably should have asked this
> years ago…
>
> Joy & Blessings,
>
> Cliff Kushler

cheers,