[GNC] New Bill: Bill ID vs Billing ID

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Jun 16 20:11:50 EDT 2020

Indeed, those two definitions (Invoice ID/Billing ID) are so similar as to be the same thing in probably most cases, especially for Vendors. I could see how they may be different from an AR perspective. (you may be importing invoices generated in an invoicing app that has its own numbering scheme, but want or need to use a different scheme in GnuCash and you import that invoice data into GnuCash for accounting purposes)

One place I can see a Vendor use for both is when something is a bill for a payment with a reference. For example, if you deal with a Vendor that employs a payment Factor, the original supplier will have one invoice# and the Factor might well have another. I guess you could use either field for either number, but by the definition, I’d think Invoice ID would be the original supplier’s invoice# and Billing ID would be the Factor’s invoice#, but that does seem a bit backwards in some respects considering how GnuCash uses them.

Personally, for Vendor bills I use Invoice ID as the Vendor’s Invoice# if any, or else let it auto-increment. I then use Billing ID as *my* account number with that Vendor. (since I don’t see any other place to put that info)

They are both somewhat free-form and you can use them for whatever real-world (or not) data you like.

The Invoice ID can be patterned and incremented according to Book rules. (See: File > Properties > Counters) That’s probably more useful for AR than AP, but I’m sure some use it for that also.

This will be the info put into the AR/AP registers as ’NUM’ and will be displayed on the ‘owner’ Report (Customer/Vendor Report or ’Statement of Account’) It is also I believe used to link payments, but I could be mistaken. That might be handled internally via GUID.

I also use the Opening Date as the date of the Vendor’s bill. (when they show it was created/opened/etc.) The due date is usually different. The service dates are almost always different or are for a time span, not just a date.

I vaguely recall a discussion about getting rid of ‘Opening Date’ as superfluous to ‘Invoice Date’ but I hope that doesn’t happen. With the move to accommodate Quotes in 4.0, I can imagine the need to know when you wrote the quote (Opening Date) and when it is posted as an agreed-to Invoice. (Invoice Date)

Regards,
Adrien