[GNC] New Bill: Bill ID vs Billing ID

Fran_3 mailbox0600 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 18 11:55:41 EDT 2020

 Thanks to all for responding to this.
For now we have decided to make up our own definitions for the two fields...
Bill ID: we leave it blank so GnuCash auto numbers it for us.
Billing ID: we enter the Vendor's Bill number aka their "Invoice" number. If the vendor does not put an Invoice Number on their Bill to us then we enter the vendor's initials plus the due month and year like...
gdJun20 for a GoDaddy bill due June, 2020
Thanks again for all the response to this OP.

    On Wednesday, June 17, 2020, 12:29:38 PM EDT, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

 Hi,

Fran_3 via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> writes:

> In 7.10.1 are the field definitions for a New Bill from a
> vendor... two of them are...
>
> Invoice Info - Invoice ID (optional) - the identification number of
> the invoice as emitted by the vendor (IE: the vendor’s internal number
> for this invoice).
> Billing Info - Billing ID (optional) - the vendor’s ID for the bill
> (e.g.: their invoice #).
> This is confusing to me as follows...
> On Bills we receive from vendors we often find a number on the
> document we use to identify it...1 - Vendor's Bill Number

The idea is that both you and the other entity might have your own
unique identifiers for the Bill or Invoice, so this lets you put them
both on.  This boils down to "naming is hard".

When you send out an Invoice to a customer you have your invoice number
on it, but the customer may want something on it (like a PO#).

When you receive a Bill from a vendor it will have their invoice# on it,
but you might want your own counter for it.

This is why there are two cases.

These numbers are irrespective of due dates.

      Derek Atkins                617-623-3745
      derek at ihtfp.com            www.ihtfp.com